So week one has come to an end. I can sum up this first week up in one word...AWESOME! I have really begun to make some good friends here. I didn't think that it would come all this quickly. I mean it makes sense when you hang out with the same people at school then bars with them, but it was surprising how quickly I became good friends with them. I could probably tell you that most of my friends are girls here, but that makes sense if you were to see how few number of guys are here.
The school keeps telling us how some parts or some times of the day can be dangerous. The girls have become paranoid/worried. They always want to have a guy around help give 'protection.' We had a member of the polizia (police) come talk to us about where we should avoid, people to stay away from. By the end of it, we all began to ask ourselves, what else can we do? It seemed like everything he told us could potentially be dangerous.
I went on my first run today. You cannot really run within the city because you would have to stop at just about every 10 feet due to people and/or cars, so I ventured out to a park that I thought was a lot closer then it ended up being. I made it to the park pretty easily but coming home was an issue. I thought I knew the area pretty well so I tried running a different way home. But little did I know that I don't know the city as well as I thought. My 30 minute run turned into an hour run. Matt also brought the abdominal roller and 'perfect push up' so we have our own personal gym.
I'm not sure if I told you in previous posts, but I will be joining the Syracuse soccer team that will compete against other schools. They told us that the league we will be playing is an international league. I am not sure if that means we will be traveling to other countries to play or if they come to us...but either way, I'm stoked! Finally get to get my touch back.
We made it to a bar last night to watch the first game. We went to a local bar called "The Lion's Fountain." It was a great bar...mostly americans. I met a guy who grew up in San Diego but now lives and works in Naples. He lived in north park. We had no issues in the bar until the Irish rugby players, who were in the bar when we got there, had too much to drink and began to start fights with just about everyone in there. None of us got in a fight but we were all fearful that if we were there for much longer we would be the next victims.
School starts tomorrow. I got all the classes I wanted. Everyday my classes start at 9am. If I can, i will move switch one of my MW classes to the later section. I am very eager to take Italian. I thought that spanish would help me converse but spanish isn't all that similar. There are similar words, but I tried using my spanish vocab to understand some Italians and I had NO idea what they were saying.
I brought my hair clippers out here thinking that they would work when plugged into the outlet...but I was wrong. I nearly cut my face when I tried to use them. I will be going to buy an Italian hair cutting set soon.
I also will need to buy a new jacket. I thought I had warm enough jackets/sweatshirts here, but clearly I don't. M+D, don't worry, I wont buy a Louis Vuitton jacket or anything like that. It will be a cheaper one from a department store.
That is all for now.
Ciao
ps- dont expect blogs everyday. i will post one every 2-3 days
No comments:
Post a Comment