Alright, I'm sorry that it has been so long since my last post. I wanted to wait until after my birthday so i could tell you everything that we did that night. So, Feb 9th was a fun night. There were three people celebrating a birthday that night: me and two girls--one of whom I had met prior to the night. The one who I had met previously did her own thing for her bday...I didn't end up seeing her the rest of the night.
The night of the Superbowl I met a guy named Bryan, who is also a club promoter in the area and his best friend is an owner of several clubs and bars around Florence. So we got to talking and he said if you would like to celebrate your birthday at "Full Up" (one of the clubs) I will give you 25 VIP passes and a cake for your birthday. Little did I know that the VIP passes really meant nothing. The club did not have a cover and they were just letting everyone in the doors. There was not a special room for the 'VIP' guests or anything like that. I guess it was just a trick that I, and everyone else, fell for.
Anyways, one of Matt's friends bought a table in the club and he had 4 extra spots at the table and he invited me, Matt, Christina (one of the bday girls) and one of Matt's friends. So we went into the table and around midnight, a cake arrives. Both Christina and I blow out the candles and eat the cake that tasted like cardboard but I had to eat some of it. As I'm standing up from eating my cake I slipped a little bit and ended up kicking some kid in the back of his heel. He turns around and wants to fight me. I didn't understand...number one- he was like 4 inches shorter than I am. Number 2, if you're that short you can't go trying to fight people, and number 3 he was like 130 pounds so I would have felt bad fighting a kid. Anyway, the night was a lot of fun.
As I'm walking home the other day, I noticed a sign that read something about a 'biccicelta.' I continued to look at the sign and realized they were selling used and old bikes for very cheap. I ended up buying a bike for 20 Euro. The bike is old, rusty and has a very hard seat but it works. I now bike to school which saves me 1.50 euro a day on bus tickets. I live so far away from school that riding a bike to school is so much better. I usually walk home from school but going to school I had to take the bus since I would have to leave my house at 8am just to get to school on time.
As I said in my last post that I have noticed some stuff that is a little different than in the states.
1) NO ONE PICKS UP THEIR DOGS CRAP. This drives me insane. Its like I'm dodging a landmine every other step. The owner won't pick up a dogs crap if it shat in the middle of the sidewalk!
2) There is so much trash around here. I thought that the US was a dirty place but no one will throw their trash in a trash can. They'll just throw it on the street.
3) I have noticed that very few women, who I would imagine are married but just guessing, wear wedding rings. This soudns strange but I don't find wedding rings very popular out here? I could just be completely wrong but from what I have noticed, not many people choose to wear them.
4) As many of you know, Europeans love to smoke. I walked on to the bus after a girl who just finished a cigarette. Then we get off together and she pulls out another one while were waiting for our next bus. She gets halfway through the cigarette then our bus arrives. She throws it out and just before she gets off the bus, I noticed she pulled out another one.
5) To go along with the comment of smoking, I have noticed so many of my friends that have begun to smoke here. Very few have said that they smoke in the states, but here, they are doing it all the time like Matt, for example. Ever since he started working as a promoter he smokes all the time now. I have tried telling him he needs to stop since he is still an athlete but he simply won't listen. Three times since we have been here he has had a coughing attack in the middle of the night as I'm trying to sleep. LIKE LAST NIGHT.
On another note, I have told you that soccer has started. There are two Syracuse teams and one team is good and one team kinda sucks. And i'm on the crappy team. But during one of our recent games, there was a scout for a Florentina soccer league. It's like a minor league (I guess). They asked me if I would be interested and I said ABSOLUTELY! I gave him my email and cell number but I am still waiting to hear from him. So we'll see. I'm 3rd in the league with 13 points (2 pts for a goal and 1pts for an assist.)
That is all...off to Econ class.
Ciao
No comments:
Post a Comment